Before proceeding to tutorial I want to let you know, what is an photo file size and how can you decrease any photo size.
What is an image file size?
Images are composed by several dots called pixels, and each of them has a color, represented as a combination of three basic colors red, green and blue.
To store each of these pixels, 3 bytes 24 ones or zeros are generally used. When an image is large, it may have millions of pixels, and that means storing all information for an image like that in a computer or any device will take millions of bytes.
When a camera or smartphone says it takes 10 megapixels photos, it means that each photo has 10 million pixels mega = million. And having 10 million pixels means it takes 30 million bytes or 30 megabytes to store that photo which is a lot of space!
If you want to send this photo or many photos to a friend by e-mail, it will have to transfer 30 megabytes of data and it will take a while to upload it and a lot for the recipient to download it later.
How can I reduce any image size?
Is there any solution? Yes, there are two main solutions. One of them is compressing the image compression reduces file size without having to resize the image, but image quality will suffer as you increase compression and start losing more image data.
The other solution is to resize your photo, decreasing the number of pixels it takes to store the image, which reduces it’s file size proportionally. Reducing image size doesn’t reduce image quality, although it may lose some very small details if they become too small.
Photos taken with current cellphones and cameras usually have over 6 million pixels, while most cellphones, tablets, notebook or TV screens have only about 1.5 million pixels, which means you end up seeing a resized version of the image you only use the full image if you print it.
So if you resize your image, decreasing its width and height to a half, your image would have about the same number of pixels than the screens where you will display it, so you wouldn’t be losing any quality or detail at all, even looking at your image in full screen mode.
So remember, if you have a huge photo, you can reduce it’s file size by resizing it until it’s about 1900 by 1100 pixels, and getting a JPG image with just a little compression (about 95% quality). Doing so, you will get a versatile image with great quality, that you can send to anyone without taking too much time, or spending too much bandwidth on your mobile data plan.
Reduce images is an online or offline tool that allows you to apply both compression and size reduction online to any image, and save the resulting images in different image formats like JPG, JPEG, PNG, GIF or BMP.
Best of ways to reduce photo size
Many people use it but they don’t know yet, that they can reduce any photo size from here. But it doesn’t have many features like other tools.
Photoshop has always been great and popular photo editor software. It’s best for professional users but it’s difficult for new users.
3. Microsoft photo editor
It’s a very good PC image editing software. It’s easy for reducing size of an image, setting DPI, etc.
There are lots of online tools on the internet. If you search in Google, you will find many online tools so; you will get confused but don’t worry. Below I have provided top 5 online photo reducing tools for PC, Android and Apple users.
You can download an app from play store for reducing photo size and always check description and reviews before downloading any app online.
Here are the top 5 photo size reducing online tools
Smart PNG and JPEG compression optimize your images with a perfect balance in quality and file size.
TinyPNG uses smart lossy compression techniques to reduce the file size of your PNG files. By selectively decreasing the number of colors in the image, fewer bytes are required to store the data. The effect is nearly invisible but it makes a very large difference in file size!
Why should I use TinyPNG?
PNG is useful because it’s the only widely supported format that can store partially transparent images. The format uses compression, but the files can still be large. Use TinyPNG to shrink images for your apps and sites. It will use less bandwidth and load faster.
You can reduce image size up to 20 images, max 5 MB each.
Resize your image online in three simple steps:
1. Use the top left button to select and upload your picture. Resize Your Image supports different extensions as .jpg, .gif, .png, .tiff, .pdf, .raw, .txt etc.. Since you resize the image online and the website depends on the speed of your internet connection, the upload time can be variable. Be patient if it lasts!
2. Use the buttons and arrows to set the size of your image online. Height and Width show you the actual height and width of the cropped area, Press button to set height and width manually. Use the arrows to crop the area. Height and witdh are shown in the buttons above.
3. Press the orange button to resize your image. This will bring you to the download page where you will find your new image!
Resize Your Image is a magnificent tool (image and photo resizer) to help you maintain your website, to send images via email or to resize large images to print it. Not only does it let you determine its size (in pixels), it also brings down the size of your file.
The best free online image resizer and optimizer on the Web, crop, resize and optimize your images was never easier. Crop and resize any image to the exact pixels or proportion you specified and reduce the file size significantly without losing quality for FREE, without Photoshop.
Benefits of ResizeImage.net
1. Crop your images to match the proportion of your screen( e.g. 1920×1080 pixels ) and set them as your desktop wallpaper without distortion.
2. Shrink and optimize your animated gif’s without losing animation and quality, making it easy to use them as your avatars, icons or signatures on Internet forums.
3. Resize and compress your png images without losing transparency and quality.
4. Reduce the file size of your pictures to decrease the bandwidth usage of your websites and speed up your website load time.
5. Convert your images from one format to another, for example, png to jpg, jpg to png, png to gif.
6. Remove background from your images, making it possible to create an icon in PNG or animated GIF format with transparent background using MS Paint.
7. Optimize your png’s and combine them into a single icon with icoConverter.
8, In a word, this is not only an image resizer, it’s also an image optimizer / image cropper / image rotator / image compressor / image reducer / image converter that supports JPEG, transparent PNG and animated GIF format, a png maker, and a background remover.
PicResize.com was launched in March 2005 and has become one of the oldest and most popular image editing tools on the Internet. Today, the free service has processed millions of pictures with more than 30,000 photos resized daily.
PicResize.com continues to be developed and improved with new features being added regularly. It’s best for reducing photo size and cropping photos.
WebResizer is a free service to help optimize images. Resize your photos easily online. For use in email, blogs, websites. No complex software to download. Resize images online anytime.
Image Quality / Compare Image Sizes
Reducing the file size of your images makes web pages load faster. It also speeds up opening emails with images attached.
To make your photos faster … reduce the file size of your image by setting a low value for Image Quality. A low value for Image Quality will give a smaller file size, but the image can start to break up. OR … select Compare Image Sizes to quickly see the size that works best for your image (results will appear at the bottom of the page)
NOTE: Increasing Image Quality will make your picture clearer but your file size bigger.
Increase the sharpness of your image. Images taken directly from a digital camera usually look a little bit soft and need a small amount of sharpening. A setting of 30-50 is a good starting point.
How to reduce the size of an image using online tools?
1. Go to any website given above.
2. Choose a file and upload in their website.
3. Now, after uploading your photo into their website, their online tool will automatically decrease the size of your image. Once it done! your photo will be available to download.
If you like this post, please don’t forget to like, comment and share it on Facebook & Twitter and also do subscribe to our newsletter to keep receiving new updates. Thank you for you support!