Table of Contents
The easiest way to receive the latest posts from your favorite blogs is to subscribe to RSS using feed readers such as iGoogle, Netvibes, Feedly, Bloglines, etc.
In simple, RSS (Really Simple Syndication) recovers the latest content from the sites you are interested and pulls them into your feed reader where you can read them all in one location rather than visiting each site separately.
Most blogs have RSS feed which is detected automatically by commonly used feed readers when the blog URL is added to the reader. However, if you want to make it easier for readers to subscribe using RSS, or want to know exactly how many people subscribe to your blog then the best option is to add a Feedburner RSS feed and email subscription to your blog.
What is FeedBurner?
FeedBurner is a web feed management provider launched in 2004. FeedBurner was founded by Dick Costolo, Eric Lunt, Steve Olechowski, and Matt Shobe. Costolo is a University of Michigan graduate and was CEO of Twitter from 2010 to 2015. FeedBurner provides custom RSS feeds and management tools to bloggers, podcasters, and other web-based content publishers.
When Should You Use FeedBurner?
FeedBurner comes handy when you anticipate changing hosts. With FeedBurner, it is possible to submit the Feeds to podcast directories like iTunes. When you change hosts and website URL, you only need to change the URL on Feedburner and FeedBurner will handle the rest.
Advantages of Using FeedBurner
It is important to get statistics about your subscribers including how often they visit your site, how they read the posts on your site and other details like where they come from. With FeedBurner, you get all this information readily.
Other details include how the subscribers subscribe on your blog, the browsers they use, the items they view and their locations. The statistics can be downloaded anytime as CSV or Excel.
This is viewed as a great feature by many bloggers. The daily subscription that you can offer to your readers for free comes handy as most of them may not know about RSS feeds but have an email account.
Better yet, you can customize the emails that you send to the readers. The subscription comes in a number of languages including English, German, Spanish, French, Russian, Portuguese and Chinese. You can have a subscription form into your page or have it as a widget and can also customize the form as you wish.
Publish on Social Media without Plugin
This is a great feature that allows you to connect to your Twitter account and send updates.
The updates you send can be customized such that you send only the title, title and body, omit link, use hashtags and any additional text, send many items, filter updates per keyword and many more. You can then connect Twitter to Facebook and promote your content more.
Setting Up your FeedBurner Feed
1. Go to Feedburner and sign in to Feedburner with your Google Account (create a Google Account first if you don’t have one!).
2. Add your Blog URL to the Burn a Feed Right This Instant and click Next.
3. Select the first source and click Next.
4. On “Welcome” page, make sure you are happy with the title and FeedBurner address (URL) of your news feed and then click Next.
5. On the Congrats! page click Next.
6. On the stats configuration page select, Clickthroughs and I want more! and then click Next.
How to Add FeedBurner Email Subscription to your blog
It’s important to add an email subscription option to your blog sidebar as some readers prefer to receive latest posts from blogs using email subscription.
1. Click on the Publicize Tab ➡ Email Subscription ➡ in your FeedBurner account and click on Activate.
2. Copy the HTML codes.
4. Now Paste the all HTML codes here & click on save.
5. Congratulation! You have successfully enabled FeedBurner Email Subscription on your blog.
Now readers simply enter their email address and then click on “Subscribe” and FeedBurner emails your entire post to them on the day after it has been published on your blog.
By performing the above steps, you can add FeedBurner Email Subscription Box on your blog easily. Having an Email Subscription Widget on your blog helps you in many ways. Here are some of the reasons why people like FeedBurner:
- Users are updated each time a new blog goes live.
- FeedBurner promotes repeat visitors and blog loyalty.
- The service is free and easy to set up.
- You can track your subscribers.
- Email delivery can be customized to match the brand look and feel.
- The content delivery enhances the chance of social media shares.
- The email subscription widget is easy to install.
If you like this article, do Subscribe Us now & get the fresh posts directly in your mailbox. Thank you.